Smoked Portobello Mushroom Burgers
(Yield: 8 burgers)
8 Portobello mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
Fine sea salt, sugar and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
8 large crusty rolls, cut in half
1 cup Roasted Garlic Aioli (see recipe below)
- Brush the mushrooms with half of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill on preheated smoker for 10 minutes on the heat and 10 minutes off giving 5 minutes per side until soft. Transfer to a plate.
- Brush the tomatoes with the remaining oil. Sprinkle each slice with salt, pepper, sugar and chopped garlic and fresh herbs. Grill or smoke until soft, about 5 minutes. Toast the rolls until lightly brown.
- Assembly: Spread Roasted Garlic Aioli on both sides of each roll, place mushrooms on the bottoms, then a slice of tomato and top with the arugula. Replace tops and serve warm.
Roasted Garlic Aioli
(Yield: 1 cup)
1 head garlic, tops cut off to expose cloves
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup Basic Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Fine sea salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- Drizzle the oil over the head of garlic and roast in a preheated 375 degree oven until soft, about 1 hour. Cool and remove pulp.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk until incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Roasted Yukon Gold Potato Salad with Tomatoes and Bacon
(Yield: 8 servings)
1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup celery, diced
½ cup green pepper, diced
¼ cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1 tomato, diced
¼ cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
¼ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 ½ teaspoons Champagne vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
- Boil potatoes until soft.
- While potatoes cool, combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until incorporated.
- Combine potatoes, celery, green pepper, onion and bacon in large bowl. Mix vegetables and dressing together. Gently add tomatoes. Chill.